Oct 30, 2015

Training for a Half Marathon

Last November, I posted “Started Running.”  It’s my time of the year for running as the weather finally cooled down. 

I finished a 15K race in March 2015 without pain and injuries, so I set a goal a little higher for the next year – a Half Marathon.  I’ve been running for a few weeks, and I’m now going to start the training.  Like the last year, I made a training schedule referring to Jeff Galloway’s “Half Marathon Training  Please read my post “Started Running” about my experience of Jeff Galloway’s Run Walk Run method or go to his official site.

A half marathon is 13.1 mile long, and it’s about 4 miles longer than 15K (9.32 miles).  Because of my fitness level, (un)athletic background, and the warmer weather in Florida on the race day, I didn’t want to aim too high, so I decided to run a half marathon instead of a full marathon.  It is my priority to enjoy the training and complete the race without pain and injuries.

Jeff Galloway’s Half Marathon training schedule is 17-week long, but I stretched it out to 21 weeks to make the mileage increase a little more gradual.  My training pace is much slower than one for 15K, and Run Walk Run ratio is totally different from the past (he has come up with new ratios over the years).  And, if you wonder how to keep the training schedule during the upcoming holiday seasons, please read “Exercise as Part of Your Travel Plans Running in a new place during travel is now one of my favorite things to do.