Nov 22, 2014

Started Running!


I wanted to say publicly that I started training for the Gate River Run 15K (9.32 miles) in Jaxsonville, FL in March, so I can’t back down.  Starting this month, I have enough time to increase mileage to 15K.  I am proud to say I have never been athletic nor a runner, but I have run 4 marathons, two of which were for charity raising over $7,500 in total.  However, I haven’t run a long distance for over 5 years, so the 15K race is a good start (or can be challenging!).    

Again, I am not a runner (and not too young), so my goal is to finish without injuries within the comfortable level of my body.  When I spent 6 months training for each marathon, I got sore and some aches, but I never had pain or injuries (knock on the wood).  That’s thanks to the program using Jeff Galloway’s Run Walk Run method, which is designed for any people to finish a marathon or a long distance race.  His method is to run and walk continuously.  While you walk, you can rest the muscles, so they won’t be worn out.  The ratio of run/walk depends on the distance of the race and your pace.  I created my own training schedule adapting his method, and my ratio is 2-minute run and 3-minute walk.  Another thing perfect for non-runners like me is you don’t have to run every day; only three days a week, so the muscles can rest and recover.  Once a week is a long distance run, and the mileage increases gradually, such as by 1 mile every week, so you can slowly build endurance.  You can do cross training for other days, if you like.  Here is Jeff Galloway's training schedules for 5K/10K.  

If you want to enjoy races for your wellness as long as you can, I strongly recommend Jeff Galloway’s method.