Sep 9, 2014

Trigger Point Therapy: Part 1 - Introduction


I mentioned in "About Me" that the book about Trigger Point Therapy was probably the one of the biggest reasons why I became a massage therapist.  It’s called “The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook” by Clair Davies.  I would flip pages even when I had a little pain.  I was fascinated by the relationship with pain and muscles. 

What I like about the book is that it gives you specific instructions in how to give yourself a massage and relieve pain.  You can treat yourself!  And also, the fact that the author became a massage therapist when he was sixty years old, made me think it’s not too late for me to become a massage therapist.  His curiosity to explore the body and determination to relieve pain for others resonated with me. 

What is a trigger point?
Trigger points were extensively researched by Dr. Janet Travell and Dr. David Simons for over 50 years.  Trigger points are hyperirritable bands in the muscle fibers.  They cause pain at the spot when firm pressure is applied and also refer pain to another site (“referred pain”).  Under an electron microscope, they appear as contracted muscle tissues.

Trigger points feel like a knot or a lump, but I often feel it as a ropey band, or sometimes a soft depression.  What I learned in massage school was if there is any change in tissues, that’s worth paying attention.  Although there are common trigger point spots to work on, I normally just feel the tissue until my fingers slow down (sometimes get stuck), and then ask the client for feedback.  Every person is different, so I try not to fixate myself to just trigger points.

Trigger points are not same as acupressure points.  Although the author didn’t mention it, some of the trigger points correspond with acupressure points.  Little research has been done, but I am personally interested in bringing the integration of the Western physiology and the traditional Chinese medicine.       

I will talk more about referred pain in Part 2.