Nov 11, 2014

FAQ: Does a massage therapist work on my buttocks?


When my clients have a lower back problem, I always work on their buttocks; gluteal muscles.  The area is very important to be addressed because there are many trigger points to relieve pain in the low back, hip, and thigh, piriformis syndrome (the symptoms similar to sciatica)and numbness in the leg.  Good massage therapists know the benefits of gluteal work and aren’t hesitant to work in the area.  I strongly recommend your buttocks be worked on if you have problems mentioned above.  I work on the area over the sheets if a client wears underwear.  I can’t apply smooth gliding strokes, but I can use compressions and other techniques, which are as effective as ones directly on the body.  However, if I work on the tissue directly, I would be able to feel the trigger points and adhesions more accurately, and the strokes would feel smoother to you. 

Here is an example video of how a massage therapist works on the buttocks area.  It's long and technical, so you can fast-forward it.  I don't do exactly the same way, but this will give you a general idea of how a massage is done. 

The important thing for you is to be comfortable and make the most out of your massage session.  Don’t feel pressured to agree on what you don’t feel like.  If your therapist is good, they never insist on their own agendas.