Aug 18, 2015

We Are What We Eat


Thy food shall be thy medicine. – Hippocrates
We can’t talk about health and wellness without discussing what we eat.  I’ve encountered many people who were ill, but became healthy after they changed their diet.  However, I’ve never discussed food since I started this blog one year ago.  Mainly because I do have very strong opinions about it, and some issues can be political (such as GMO – I won’t talk about it here).  I’m going to share a little bit of my background of diet. 

Our eating habit is more or less cultural and depends on what we ate growing up.  I grew up in Japan eating meals made from scratch and cooked with whole foods as most Japanese families did.*1  We hardly ever used canned/jar food and ate little processed food except Tofu.  We ate a small amount of meat always cooked with vegetables.  We typically bought fish, vegetables and fruit available in that season.  We know we should eat in-season food because they are the best (and cheaper) only during that time.  The food was normally braised, sautéed, grilled (mostly fish), and very occasionally deep fried.  We drank green tea or brown tea (hoji-cha – roasted green tea) after meal.  We ate fruit as a dessert, or small-sized sweets (Japanese or Western).  I don’t remember what we ate for snacks, but definitely not a bag of potato chips or ice cream, and didn’t drink soda except on our birthdays.  I am aware that younger generations probably eat more fast food, chips and soda, but there are a lot of other alternatives, so they don’t have to eat fatty, sweet food all the time.

I almost always cook from scratch using organic ingredients as much as I can.  If I cook something with a packaged/canned sauce even though I use fresh vegetables and meat, I feel like I am not making a proper meal.  If I use a frozen package meal and just heat it up (always adding more vegetables), I don’t consider it “cooking.”  I now make spice mix myself even for ethnic food such as Mexican and Indian, that I usually bought packaged/canned sauce or mix.  I just want to use the ingredients I know, and more importantly, it tastes much, much better (also cheaper).  In the same sense, I never used a boxed cake mix or a frozen pie crust in my life.  If I make cookies, cake or pie, it must be from scratch.  I also occasionally bake bread and make fresh pasta.  Even with all this, I doubt I am considered a great cook in Japan because other Japanese women do as much as I do. 

I do have a high standard for what I eat, and a high expectation for how I prepare meals.  I place such importance on cooking with fresh whole foods because I believe we are what we eat.  That’s why I find the popularity of “supplements” and “superfoods” too excessive.  It is great that people try to be healthier, and I am not against buying dietary supplements.  However, I can’t help thinking why not eat whole foods as this country is abundant in them.  Some people seem to want a magic pill, or a short-cut skipping eating a variety of vegetables and fruit everyday and doing exercises regularly to have healthy life.  “Supplements” are called supplements for a reason.  I believe you need a good foundation of diet first to add supplements to see results.  If we only need a collection of nutrients, do we want to live in the world where everybody has to take just one pill to survive?*2 

What about “superfoods”?  I believe ALL whole foods are “superfoods” and more beneficial than multiple supplements. The bottom line is to eat a variety of whole foods, not just ones publicized in the media.  Whole foods consist of numerous nutrients (including more complex micronutrients), minerals, fiber, and maybe something else we don’t know yet that is good for us.  Why abandoning the natural gift of Mother Earth?  Above all, eating fresh food would bring us the joy of life.      

*1 Just for fun, you might want to read “Japanese Women Don’t Get Old or Fat.”

*2 I highly recommend a science fiction movie “Soylent Green.”  Made back in the early 70’s, it seemed to have predicted the current course of future already.  It is very profound.