Aug 11, 2015

Just Not That Into Massage?

You came across this blog because you are already likely interested in massage.  But, how about the people who don’t want to get a massage?  Once they happen to get one, I guarantee they will love it!  But, how can I convince them that massage is good for them before they actually receive one? 

I understand table massage can be intimidating and invading privacy because I myself didn’t like to be undressed to get a massage.  But, in a chair massage, you are fully clothed.  I have offered free chair massages at a health food store.  Surprisingly, most of the people, who were there buying pricy health products, were not interested in a free massage.  Some of them were interested, but in a hurry.  I first thought: Are they embarrassed to receive a massage in public, or just trying to be polite not to take advantage of a free offer?  Are they afraid I will try to sell something later?  But, I finally accepted they were JUST NOT THAT INTO MASSAGE.  I couldn’t still help thinking about “why?”  I came up with possible reasons. 
My Three Guesses:
  1. Massage has never been in their minds: They don’t know about benefits of massage, and don’t necessarily want to learn about it unless doctors recommend it. 
  2. Massage is for those who have problems: They don’t think they have to get a massage because they don’t have any pain, stiffness, and etc.
  3. Touch makes them uncomfortable: They are not used to being touched by a stranger.  Touch will tense them up, not relaxing.
I even thought about what can be done.
Solutions:
  1. More widespread, valid endorsement for massage therapy from a medical community as a whole.
  2. Re-education: Massage is enhancement of your health and wellness (like taking vitamins), not “a treatment” you need.
  3. Re-education of touch: You benefit greatly from massage to get used to positive touch and learn how to relax.  It will change the quality of your life.

Maybe, I can’t change their mind, ever.  But, I will continue to try to spread the wonder of massage.  If you know somebody who doesn’t want to get a massage, please leave me a comment!