Oct 10, 2014

Pet Massage

Every time I pet my cat, he stretches his body and purrs, and it seems he is experiencing some ecstatic moment.  I wish I was the cat to see what it feels like.   

Not long before I decided to become a massage therapist, I found a book called “Dr. Michael Fox’s Massage Program for Cats and Dogs” at the local library, and I was fascinated by it.  It totally makes sense if I come to think about it.  The anatomy is almost the same, and they also have health issues such as arthritis, heart disease, and kidney disease.  The techniques for pet massages are exactly the same as for people. The book shows therapeutic, acupressure, and diagnostic massage, and the author recommends daily massage.  

Massage promotes wellness for both pets and the owners.  Not only does it benefit your pet physically and psychologically, but also you can find illness much more quickly.  And also, instead of just petting on the head or back, taking your time to massage your pet gives you deeper connection to your pet and a sense of peace and happiness.   

When I started my massage school, I asked the director if I can learn animal massage for an independent study.  Unfortunately, this part of Florida is dominated by veterinarians  who don’t want massage therapists to deal with animals.  However, you don’t have to be a professional to give a massage to your pets.  Remember what feels good to you when you receive massage.  Then, that should feel good to your pets.  I give my cat a tummy massage clockwise to help digestion.  He really likes it, but not all cats like to be touched in the stomach, so you might want to start slowly to get your pets used to your massage routine.  Then, your pets will love your massage and want to get more!