Aug 18, 2014

Touch

I grew up in Japan, where they don’t hug or kiss customarily, so I was surprised to learn that the American society was touch-deprived.  Because of the sexual harassment law, touching is a taboo, and innocent touch of affection and compassion is seen less and less. 

I do know the power of touch as a massage therapist, and I believe that human beings have a very natural desire to be touched and connect with other people.  First of all, touch feels good, provided that you feel safe with the person giving touch.  It makes such a huge difference between being touched by yourself and by somebody else.  I give myself a massage especially for my head, neck and face to relieve headaches.  But, I enjoy the most when I receive massage on those areas by somebody else.  And, I’m sure many of you agree about foot massage.  

Touch also sends a powerful non-verbal message.  When you feel down, and your friend just puts her hand on your back even without saying anything, you know she cares about you.  Or, big hugs.  You don’t need any words.  Coming from the very touch-deprived culture, when I got used to hugging people, I felt like I learned another language.  I believe that big hugs are what everybody needs!  

Not only humans appreciate touch.  I believe even animals have a desire to be touched.  Monkeys, cats, birds groom each other and sleep together, and I don’t think it’s just for some practical reasons.  My cat always wants to sit on my lap even on a hot day.  They want touch like us.  

Everybody needs and deserves nice, warm touch.  When is the last time you gave loving touch to somebody you care about?