Nov 27, 2015

10 Tips to Choose the Right Shoes

Buying a good pair of running or walking shoes is a must for everybody if you want to save yourself from pain or injuries.  A pair of running shoes is said to last for 400-500 miles.  A good pair costs about $100-$150, which isn’t inexpensive, but it is a good investment.  If you consider medical expenses incurred from pain or an injury by a wrong pair of shoes, it isn’t bad at all.  It will also be a great holiday gift for anyone you care.

I don’t recommend you pick a pair by yourself just because they feel comfortable.  Find the right specialty running shoe store (recommended stores).  It is kind of choosing a bra (for women).  Even if you think you know your size because you think it always fits you, a trained salesperson might tell you otherwise (it happened to me).  Good shoe stores have salespeople who are runners and know exactly how to pick the right shoes for you. 

I recently went shopping for a new pair of running shoes, and I had a great experience.  I always pick a locally owned shoe store highly rated by runners.  This time, I found one from Jeff Galloway’s website because there isn’t a good one around in my area.  I ended up spending more than an hour to finally decide on one, which was the first pair I tried.  I didn’t have any preference for brands, colors, or styles, so a salesperson brought 5-6 pairs from different brands after she checked the soles of my old pair I brought, and how I walk, to make sure of my feet type (mine is neutral).  They let me run outside the store to test each pair that gave me a good first impression.  I appreciated my salesperson’s knowledge and patience, which made me sure that the pair I picked was the RIGHT ONE.     

Here are my 10 TIPS for running shoe shopping.  You can find more useful information at Jeff Galloway’s website, REI and Runner’s World.
  1. Make sure a salesperson measures your feet, checks how you walk (feet type), and asks about your running activity.
  2. Spend at least half an hour or more to pick a pair, preferably at the end of the day.
  3. Be open to any brands, colors, styles and even a size, so you can have more choices.
  4. Do not pick the exact model that you had in the previous year or before without trying them on.  A new model always changes, for better or worse.
  5. If anything about fit bothers you, don’t buy the pair.  It will only bother you more later, never less.
  6. Try a few more pairs even if the first pair feels perfect.  You never know if there is a better pair. 
  7. Buy special running socks at the store (you don’t find those in regular stores).  They never chafe your feet and make a big difference.
  8. If you still like the model after using it for a while, buy another pair before a new model comes out, especially if you run regularly and need another pair within a year.
  9. Learn the best way to tie shoe laces.
  10. Ask about their exchange policy.