Aug 29, 2015

Listen to Our Innate Wisdom


INNATE WISDOM or INNER DOCTOR: I have heard of these words many times by now, and it also relates to the introduction of “Ortho-Bionomy A Path to Self Care” by Luann Overmyer mentioned in the last post.  In the holistic approach, maintaining equilibrium within us is important for our well-being.  We do have an INNATE WISDOM or INNER DOCTOR in us to heal ourselves, self-regulate and balance itself.  Have you recently listened to your innate wisdom?

When it comes to our health care, we are used to being told what is wrong, and what to do by health care professionals.  And, medical professionals rarely ask us what we have to say about our pain or discomfort.  When one client tried to tell his doctor what he thought was wrong, he was silenced by “Are you a doctor?”  I would say, “yes, everybody has a doctor within!” 

Some people are aware of what their body needs, but most people don’t know how or never thought about it.  Next time you feel discomfort or pain, I encourage you to take a moment to tune into your body and ask yourself BEFORE thinking about inconveniences and worst scenarios.
What am I feeling?
What is my body telling me?  
What should I do now to make it feel better?
It is likely that taking a moment to pay attention to our body alone relieves some of the pain and discomfort.  Be curious and responsible for our own body.  It will help us assess and cope with pain or discomfort more calmly and wisely.   

 *Disclaimer: I am NOT suggesting you ignore diagnosis or advise from medical professionals.